Bio Sailing for kids
A day to discover the Marine Ecosystem and the Secret of Sailing with Patrizia Patti
On a sailing boat, the clarity of roles and tasks leaves no room for mediation on rules and responsibilities. Do not mess with the sea, to make a sailboat go strong you need a performing and cohesive crew. The boat becomes a Blue classroom where discover the characteristics of the Maltese Sea and its Marine Life.
- Discover the sea and the atmospheric agents that influence it (wind, tides, waves, currents …)
- Learn the main knots used in the boat
- Learn to take on roles and responsibilities and respect each other
- Learn to collaborate with your team
- Learn how to spot marine life, collect data and recognise the different species present in Maltese water
|AGE||from 8 to 16 years old|
|WHERE||Sailing Boat MOONMIST|
|TIME||8.30 – 15.30|
The routes will be chosen two days earlier following the wind forecast to prepare the better experience possible.
The activities will be held on the MOONMIST an amazing and large Bavaria 45ft cruiser
Sail instructor – 45 minutes in the harbour
- Practical lesson on the main sea knots
- Lesson on the wind, the windrose and meteorology
- Rules and responsibility on the boat
- With the participants will plot the route to be followed during the day
Marine biologist – 45 minutes in the harbour
- The Mediterranean Sea and Maltese waters
- Species present in Maltese waters
- How to fill a navigation form during a research day
Marine Biologist during navigation
- Marine life spotting shifts (2 kids per time)
- Listening with the hydrophone (depending on the weather 2 kids per time)
- Filling the Navigation form
- Collecting data about sea condition, presence of animals, the temperature of the seawater …..
During the practical lesson at sea, the basic concepts and terminology of the boat and marine biology will be presented.